Christiana Trust offers the following individual and family trust services:
We offer an experienced staff, nimble infrastructure and competitive pricing.
Learn More About Traditional Trustees
For over a decade, we have been among the top Delaware Directed Trustee providers.
Learn More About Directed Trustees
Take advantage of Delaware or Nevada's estate planning laws while enabling your trust to be controlled by advisors and counsellors located in other states.
Learn More About Administrative Trustees
Decanting is an excellent way for an irrevocable trust created out of state to obtain nexus in Delaware/Nevada.
Learn More About Decanting
We handle the securities and perform administrative tasks with an attention to detail and a level of individualized service that is unsurpassed.
Learn More About Custody Services
Christiana Trust has been a leading provider of traditional fiduciary services to local, national, and international clientele for over 20 years. We will be pleased to work with you and your advisers to establish a new trust or move an existing relationship.
Our specialties include:
- Grantor Retained Income and Annuity Trusts (GRITs and GRATs)
- Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRUTs, CRATs, and CRITs)
- Charitable Lead Trusts (CLATs and CLUTs)
- Living Trusts and Revocable Trusts
- Testamentary Trusts
- Total Return Unitrusts
- Marital Trusts
- Credit Shelter Trusts
- Qualified Terminable Interest Property Trusts (QTIPs)
- Qualifying Domestic Trusts (QDOTs)
- Insurance Trusts
- Permissive “Quiet” or “Silent” Trusts
- Asset Protection Trusts (Self-Settled Spendthrift Trusts)
Delaware and Nevada law allows a client to delegate certain functions of a traditional trustee to other parties.
Christiana Trust will work with your attorney to review your trust and provide you with the highest level of customized service. Our primary goal is open cooperation with the client and any co-fiduciaries, effectiveness of the trust and the client’s overall objectives, adherence to industry best practices, and top-tier level of ethical and regulatory compliance.
You will find that Christiana Trust is nimble enough to cater our services to the particular needs of your trust.
Some of our specialties include:
- Dynasty Trusts
- Family Trusts
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Life Insurance Trusts (LITs)
- Foreign Grantor Trusts
- Marital Trusts
- Credit Shelter Trusts
- Trust Decantings
Christiana Trust will work with your attorney to determine if serving as your Administrative Trustee can ensure the benefit of Delaware or Nevada situs for your trust. In such cases, Christiana Trust would serve as Administrative Trustee and maintain a substantive economic involvement with the business of the trust through the fulfilment of administrative duties, including:
- Maintain custody of all trust property within the State of Delaware or Nevada
- Maintain bank accounts, brokerage accounts and other custody accounts that receive trust income and contributions and from which trust expenditures and distributions are disbursed
- Maintain storage of stock certificates, tangible personal property and evidence of tangible trust property
- Maintain records for the trust on an exclusive or nonexclusive basis
- Maintain an office for trustee meetings and other trust business
- Originate, facilitate and review trust accountings, reports and other communications with the grantor, advisers, permissible beneficiaries and unrelated third parties
- Respond to inquiries concerning any trust created under the trust agreement
- Execute documents and authorize trust account transactions
- Retain accountants, attorneys, investment counsel, agents and other advisers in connection with the performance of the trustee’s duties
- Prepare or arrange for the preparation of fiduciary income tax returns for the trust
- Act on the direction of the co-fiduciaries in accordance with the terms of the trust agreement
Existing irrevocable trusts frequently lack modern administrative provisions that permit the grantor to direct investments, limit fiduciary liability to the fiduciary’s direct actions and protect the trust beneficiaries through a generously-worded spendthrift provision. In recent years, “decanting” has become a popular tool in estate planning and can be an alternative to costly court reformations. Trustees may use their discretionary power to invade principal and income to distribute the entire corpus of an existing trust over to a newly established trust under certain circumstances. The new receptacle trust (the decanter) is generally crafted to mirror the intent and disposition of the old trust (the decanted trust), but allows for the addition of new provisions, such as addition of an investment advisor or trust protector.
Christiana Trust is experienced in this process and is ready to work with you and your estate-planning attorney to find the best solution to meet your needs and comply with IRS and state regulations.
We execute and process all buy and sell orders in accordance with our client’s instructions. In addition to online access, we provide timely and accurate statements that detail all income and principal transactions and list assets held, their tax basis, current market value and estimated income. We handle the securities and perform all the administrative tasks with a penchant for detail and a level of individualized service that is unsurpassed.
Our services include:
- Executing buy/sell orders
- Collecting, depositing, disbursing and receiving funds
- Maintaining accurate and timely records of all transactions
- Providing regular reports detailing holdings, performance, and account activity
- Supplying tax information and reports
Investment Products: Are Not FDIC Insured | May Lose Value | Are Not Bank Guaranteed