WSFS Bank provides market expertise and hedging solutions to help organizations and individuals manage their currency risk. Our team of experts dedicates time to understanding our customers’ needs; we structure hedging plans and products according to those specific needs.
Options are among the tools used to hedge currency risk. An option allows the purchaser to protect themselves against unfavorable movements in foreign currency exchange rates, while providing the flexibility to benefit from favorable market movements. It provides the customer with a right but not the obligation to exchange currency at a specified price called a strike rate. Options are sold for an upfront cost called a premium.
- Premiums are calculated by pricing models
- Pricing models use several variables, including market value, currency pair volatility, time to expiry, strike rate and notional amount.
Call vs. Put
- Call – a right but not an obligation to buy at a specific strike rate
- Put – a right but not an obligation to sell at a specific strike rate
FX Option Use Cases
- Customers with uncertain exposure in currency
- Customers with specific budgets
- Customers needing to hedge, but also wanting some upside potential
Types of Options
- Vanilla Options – Calls and Puts
- Exotic Options – Barriers, Digitals, One-touch, No-Touch, Knock-ins, Knock-outs, etc.
- Option Strategies – a combination of several options, to reach specific customer goals
Advantages For Using Options
- Insurance for adverse currency movement
- Benefit from favorable currency movement
- Customizable to customer needs
- Can be transferable
- Can be sold before maturity for residual value
- No credit required – premium paid up front
- WSFS FX Specialists help evaluate customer needs and goals and recommend the best and most cost-effective options.
Frequently Asked Questions
A WSFS Capital Markets expert will help you find the right solution.
The past year’s unpredictability has business owners large and small deciding what their next step should be, including whether now is an optimal time to grow or sell their business.Read More
Economies evolve over time. From big oil to electricity to the internet, inventions and new technologies transform the world as we know it. Naturally, during these transformations, companies within certain industries experience tremendous growth. From this growth, they become the top market capitalized stocks in the stock market.Read More
Business owners are a special breed: full of passion, grit, experience and persistence. They work a lifetime to build their businesses. However, while they pay themselves along the way, the real money, the wealth they have worked so hard to create, is primarily housed in their business.Read More